It's 10:30 am (or half 10 like the Irish say), and we just got out of Mass at the Friary. It's a beautiful church with brightly colored stained glass windows. The ceiling is turquoise and the mosaics behind the altar are a vibrant coral. Gives you a feel of being near the ocean. The Mass was fast - 35 minutes. Apparently it isn't common to have music, so the whole thing just flies by.
Today a group of us are going to Joan's house (she is the office manager for GTI). Joan lives about 30 minutes outside of Athlone in Banagher (pronounced Ban-a-hur), a town of 1500. Now that is small town!! Athlone is huge in comparison. Joan is going to take us somewhere... I really have no clue where. I've heard we may be going horseback riding somewhere in the countryside. The weather has been beautiful this weekend - about 65 degrees and sunny. The wind is strong though which makes it just at tad bit chilly. The locals, however, are wearing sandals and tank tops. They think it's summer. I, on the other hand, am quite comfortable in my sweater and pea-coat.
Last night, we ate at a Polish restaurant called Divertimento. I had the Pierogi's which mom would have loved. We've learned that the Poles are the next largest ethnic group here in Ireland. All the employees in the hotels and many of the restaurants are Polish. Who would have known!
Cheers...
1 comment:
The church you attended sounds beautiful! However, I can't even imagine a 35 minute mass! I guess when the Irish priests come to the US, it is a shock to adjust to an hour long mass. The pictures you posted of the castles are fabulous, and once the house is built, we have to start saving for a trip to Ireland. Happy birthday Shane. Love you both.
Post a Comment